It’s not a secret that I love lipsticks, if you’ve been following my blog for a while you might remember the Lipstick A Day Challenge I set myself earlier this year. While doing that challenge I decided I wanted to share my lipstick collection on the blog but as it’s quite a mammoth task, I’ve had to break it down.
Today’s post is dedicated to part 1 of my small collection of matte liquid lipsticks (it was originally only the one post but I recently acquired about 5 more liquid lipsticks, which will be in part 2).
I LOVE matte lipsticks, and when I first read about matte liquid lipsticks, I was very intrigued. They promise the easy of a lip gloss application and long lasting fuss free lipstick wearing, where do I sign?!
But there is a catch, you can’t get these products in Japan. No surprises there. Japan is kind of behind on some of the trends right now. While I feel like they lead the market for eyeliners, mascaras and brow products, they’re not very on trend with innovative products like this. (many sad faces)
I was super lucky and either got sent products from friends and family or they were nice enough to pick me up products on their travels.
Anyway, on to some of my collection:
MUA LUXE Velvet Lip Laquer
Kooky is a red based purple/pink and Reckless is a blue based red.
- Affordable – At 3 pounds each, these are the cheapest liquid lipsticks I own.
- Interesting colour selection – Considering how cheap they are, I’m surprised at some of the interesting colours they have.
- Availability – Well in the UK this is a pro as they can be picked up at selected Superdrugs stores.
- Long lasting – They do last for quite a while.
- Smells bad – To me they smell very strongly of acrylic paint, I can overlook it but just a warning.
- Cannot reapply – When it starts to peel and crumble, you cannot reapply. You will have to remove the whole thing and start again.
- Peels – Some liquid lipsticks fade and others peel and crumble, this is in the latter category and much like acrylic paint, it peels.
Bourjois Rouge Edition Velvet
Bourjois Rouge Edition Velvet in Pink Pong is a vibrant blue based hot pink – aka my kinda pink.
- Short wand – I love the length of this wand, it makes it so easy to be precise.
- Creamy formula – It feels very smooth and moisturising to apply.
- Applies effortlessly – Because of the above point I assume.
- Fades well – I prefer my lipsticks to fade rather than peel and this one fades down to a lovely stain.
- Can reapply – Applying another coat causes no problems :D.
- Pretty affordable – at 7 pounds a piece.
- Takes ages to dry… AGES – I actually gave up timing it as it took that long.
- Doesn’t smell great – Much like another Bourjois lipstick I have, this one smells kinda strange too. Not unpleasant, but not amazing either.
Sephora Cream Lip Stain
Sephora’s contender in the liquid lipsticks games. A surprising formula for an affordable price, at $14 a piece. I have 3 shades, but only 2 mentioned in this post, 01 – Always Red and 15 – Polished Purple.
- These smell amazing!! Like vanilla cupcakes.
- Creamy formala – much like the Bourjois, these are really creamy to apply.
- Applies easily – I will note that the darker colour I have can be a bit streaky.
- Lasts well
- Can apply a second coat – no issues with touching up :D.
- Any oil and it’s all over your face – Oil is the arch nemesis of liquid lipsticks but somehow with my Sephoras, eat anything oily and you run the risk of it migrating all over your face … well around the mouth area at least. More so then any other brand I own.
- Colour selection might be a bit limited – While they do have an awesome purple and fab true red, they don’t have a great selection of other colours I feel. Feels like a ton of pink and pink varieties.
Kat Von D Everlasting Liquid Lipstick
Kat Von D Everlasting Liquid Lipstick in A GO GO is a stunning bright in your face orange.
- No noticable scent
- Can apply a second coat
- Applies easily and evenly
- Dries SUPER matte – LOVE THIS! some of the others are matte but not super matte.
- Great colour range – Personally I like the colour range KVD has, with 28 colours, I think there’s a colour for everyone. Crazy blues and brights as well as a few more nudes.
- Long lasting – Probably one of the longest lasting ones I own.
- Expensive! – At $20 a piece, this is my most expensive liquid lipstick.
- Stupidly long wand – I HATE the wand. I’ve gotten used to it but I still hate it. Having such a long wand makes it difficult to be precise.
- The printed design on my tube wore off within two weeks 😦 –Nothing to do with the actual product it’s self but it annoyed me considering how expensive this brand it.
For my top 5 lipsticks see here.
Are you a liquid lipstick junkie too?
And that rounds up part 1 of my collection. If you have any questions about any of the product mentioned above, feel free to leave a comment below :D. Thank you for reading.